Re: MIME implementation documentation

1996-08-21 08:54:52
On Tue, 20 Aug 1996 22:18:53 PDT, Ned Freed said:
No it isn't. As I previously stated in an earlier message, we had multiple
interoperable implementations of multipart/parallel in 1990, long before the
original MIME RFC came out. Specifically, we had Metamail and MHN. I know for
fact that Metamail support for multipart/parallel works because I have used it
and I just confirmed with Marshall Rose that MHN did and does support this
construct.

Ned:

Unfortunately, I'm looking at the source for MHN right now, and unless I'm
more caffeine-deficient than I thought, it appears that multipart/parallel
is basically punted to multipart/mixed.  Specifically, in function
user_content(), it basically says "if it's /parallel, pretend it's /mixed"
(near line 6122).

Since, as I remember it, MIME-conformant agents are required to punt
unknown multipart/bogon's to /mixed, I don't see how this *really* qualifies
as "full" support.

Do any implementations do anything for /parallel *ABOVE AND BEYOND* treating
it as /mixed?
--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Computer Systems Engineer