Re: RFC 1524

1996-09-26 08:51:15
In message <96Sep24.132057pdt."2759"@golden.parc.xerox.com> 24 Sep 1996
13:20:57, masinter(_at_)parc(_dot_)xerox(_dot_)com wrote:

Well, this isn't quite 'mailcap' but what I would like is something
like:

1) an improved format for what might replace what's in
   ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes about each registered media type, in a
   way that it can be mechanically processed, and a BCP that asks IANA
   to maintain it.

A SGML formalism (I guess that HTML is too laxist for that) in good
and simple DTD sounds interesting. I guess this is a bit hard to run
but we can dream ;-)
I agree that we need such an improvement.

2) possibly an improved registry of 'operating system type'
3) a standard way that software maintainers can provide records
   that link (1), (2) and their software, a global registry
   of such links, and a way that system administrators
   can maintain databases of those links.

Hmmm... This would be nice. But it is not an easy job. What about
a special mailing-list, where would be automagically announced new
types, associated with a special MIME content-type ?
For instance a multipart containing first a description of the published
content-type and then message/external-body bodypart(s) pointing to
external reference(s).

(just thinking aloud... I'm sick, influensa does not help !-)

</Daniel>