Re: overdefining text/plain?

1998-03-10 09:13:55
I find the response to Laurence's text/paragraph test to be what I
expected; significant compatibility problems still exist, in mailers it
would scare me to ignore.

RFC 2046:
 4.1.1.  Representation of Line Breaks
   Similarly, whether or not line breaks should be added during display
   operations is also a function of the media type. It should not be
   necessary to add any line breaks to display "text/plain" correctly
 4.1.3.  Plain Subtype

   ...The
   default media type of "text/plain; charset=us-ascii" for Internet
   mail describes existing Internet practice.  That is, it is the type
   of body defined by RFC 822.

So, does 822 impose a no-folding-necessary rule?  The only item I can find
in 822 that mentions the body is:

     3.1.  GENERAL DESCRIPTION

          A message consists of header fields and, optionally, a body.
     The  body  is simply a sequence of lines containing ASCII charac-
     ters.  It is separated from the headers by a null line  (i.e.,  a
     line with nothing preceding the CRLF).

This says nothing about line length at all.  The only mention in 822 I can
find of lengths is:

     3.4.8.  FOLDING LONG HEADER FIELDS

        ...For readability, the
        field-body  portion of long header fields may be "folded" onto
        multiple lines of the actual field.  "Long" is commonly inter-
        preted  to  mean greater than 65 or 72 characters.  The former
        length serves as a limit, when the message is to be viewed  on
        most  simple terminals which use simple display software; how-
        ever, the limit is not imposed by this standard.

        Note:  Some display software often can selectively fold lines,
               to  suit  the display terminal.  In such cases, sender-
               provided  folding  can  interfere  with   the   display
               software.

Note that this does not impose a length restriction, and in the note gives
tacit approval to letting the sender do the wrapping.  Yes, this is in the
headers, not the body; I find it hard to believe that matters; the point
is, RFC 822 is clearly providing for long lines and recipient wrapping
rather than declaring long lines to be illegal.

So I think that 2046.4.1.1 and 2046.4.1.3 are in conflict with one another.
text/plain can't be both required to be viewable without added line breaks
and a description of RFC 822 mail, since RFC 822 had no such restriction.

So:

- Long lines in 822 were permissible, even lines that needed to be wrapped
for display.
- 2046 claims that text/plain is the same as 822.
- 2046 also claims that text/plain must be viewable without wrapping, which
seems to me to conflict with the previous two statements.
- There will be significant compatibility problems if people start sending
text/paragraph.
- I'm not aware of significant compatibility problems with text/plain &
long lines.

It seems to me that if there is a desire to have a type that should be
prewrapped and not need to be rewrapped, that should be the new type;
text/tty or something.  I would be equally happy with a "wrap" parameter to
text/plain.  However, I don't see much point in generating text/paragraph,
since it will be handled poorly by some major MUA's.