Re: IETF Draft: Good Mailing List Behaviour

1999-03-12 10:24:29
On 3/12/99 at 12:16 PM +0000, Charles Lindsey wrote:

I am still waiting for someone to explain to me why Resent-By: is not suitable for this purpose.

There is no current Resent-By field, though we could invent one. However:

People keep saying that the Resent headers are not intended for mailing lists, but if not, what _are_ they intended for? And how am I supposed to deduce from the text of DRUMS why they are not suitable for this purpose?

To quote DRUMS, Resent fields are intended to note that a message was "reintroduced into the transport system by a user". A user. Not a process. Not a redirecter of some sort. They mean "Here is information about some person who resent this mail to you even though the rest of the fields don't indicate that it was coming from him to you." They are simply trace information to figure out why you got this message, where it came from, when it was sent to you, etc. The original From/Sender/To/Cc/Date/Message-ID fields are are intact so you can see the original information about the message.

pr
--
Pete Resnick <mailto:presnick(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com>
Eudora Engineering - QUALCOMM Incorporated