Re: Misuse of Content-Disposition (Was: Content-Disposition ancillary)

1999-04-13 14:15:35
Just for fun, I did some digging for "content-disposition: inline" in
my April archives.
What I found:

Mozilla 4.51 uses it for forwarded messages - without filename.

Novell Groupwise 5.5 uses them on a SINGLE-part message
message - without filename.

Lotus SMTP MTA (Internal build v4.6.2, and others) uses them on a
single-part message without filename.
A more interesting example is what a Lotus SMTP MTA (probably the same build)
did to a multipart message. Content-disposition inline for multiparts?

Sender: owner-ipp(_at_)pwg(_dot_)org

--0__=GT4D6kwm4SS7ntBH6vf0MmbyUG4Vjt0gsOTahntmbzlBMm7VJU8CPx8V

Mozilla 4.08 is able to generate the following for an attached GIF:
(in context it made SENSE to have the attachment viewed inline; it's small)

Mulberry (Mac) 1.4.2.1 uses it (without filename) on single-part messages.

Mozilla 4.51 also generated an attachment that *I* wouldn't have had
inline with the following:

Some version of HP OpenMail generated the following quite bizarre
combination for a multipart:

Part 1:

I don't know the intent of the sender.

Some version of Mail*Hub (TurboSendmail?) X.400->SMTP gateway added
a "Content-disposition: inline" (no filename) to its single body part.

Finally, just for laughs, this came out of some spammer's engine:

--------------51A269FA31DF

Conclusions?????????????????????????

- A lot of stuff will attach "Content-disposition: inline" to single-part
  messages under some, still unknown, conditions.
- Some stuff will inline all body parts, and seems to be consistent in doing
  so; it's not clear that this represents the user's intent, or is being
  honored by the recipients' MUA.
- One fairly rare mailer (sorry, HP) generates "text of message" body parts
  that contain a filename in its "content-disposition: inline" header.

Very unscientific sample, of course; I found 87 messages with
"content-disposition: inline" in my April archive (out of 2.529), and 3 of
them had a filename attached to them.
All the usual caveats apply; this is what msgs looked like when they came
to me.
And I didn't check very hard for counterexamples, either.

                         Harald A

--
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, Maxware, Norway
Harald(_dot_)Alvestrand(_at_)maxware(_dot_)no