Misuse of Content-Disposition (Was: Content-Disposition ancillary)

1999-04-12 07:36:42
On 4/12/99 at 9:40 AM -0400, John C Klensin wrote:

"Ancillary" may not be the appropriate example to induce the discussion that follows...

Indeed, I think "ancillary" has nothing to do with the discussion you start below. In fact, I'm not even convinced that it is a particulary interesting standards issue, but may be simply an issue of "how do we deal with people who can't follow the rules."

I think (and correct me if I've missed the point), your entire discussion comes down to this section:

For example, a number of popular MUAs (the five that I've examined probably collectively include a very large fraction of the desktops in the world among their users) interpret valid but unnecessary content-disposition fields as an indication that the mail is "no message, just attachments".

This seems to simply say that there are certain sending clients out there which are generating "Content-Disposition: attachment" for text parts which are not intended by the author to be attachments, and that this leads to bad behavior on the part of recipients who honor the C-D. A few points:

1) Broken sending UAs are broken sending UAs. It is possible to have, and we have seen, UAs who send HTML in body parts that are text/plain and who send non-US-ASCII text in body parts with incorrect charset information. When these arrive at the other end which honors the (conformant) labelling, bad things happen. This is not the fault of the MIME standard which requires labelling; it's the fault of poorly implemented *sending* UAs.

2) There are clearly cases (I make use of them myself) where "no message, just attachments" is truly the intention of the sender of the message: I want to send a text document to someone who is expecting a text document. To put such information into the body of the message in my UI simply makes the process of getting it into an attachment one step more annoying, just as is the case you cite.

3) This can easily be dealt with by receiving UAs and you should talk to your UA writer about dealing with this bug. We've done such things before. In this case, we could throw in a piece of code which says, "If the message is multipart and the first part is text, display it inline regardless of the Content-Disposition." Even better, have this as a message by message toggle which you can set for yourself.

This is not a situation in which those receiving MUAs are non-conformant: their behavior is well within the interpretation flexibilities of content-disposition. But, from a user standpoint, we have MUA-senders producing conforming content-disposition fields that produce bizarre behavior in conforming MUA-receivers/readers.

You leave out the key factor: These messages are conforming, but sent *against the intentions of the message authors*.

There is a case to be made that the marketplace is beginning to speak clearly to us here and that some radical reconsideration is in order.

I'm waiting patiently to see the long list of complaints sent to the bug list for my UA. I don't. I don't even remember seeing one of these when last it was my week to do the bug list review. I don't see any marketplace speaking clearly to us and no justification whatsoever for "radical reconsideration." That seems like utter hyperbole on your part, John. There is a serious lack of real examples in your message of a widespread number of UAs that are sending out this broken Content-Disposition. Until such time as there is such a demostration of a real problem, I must insist that this is not an IETF issue.

pr
--
Pete Resnick <mailto:presnick(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com>
Eudora Engineering - QUALCOMM Incorporated