Re: Alternative multipart/alternative?

1999-09-14 03:14:13
At 15:36 13/09/99 -0700, Laurence Lundblade wrote:
At 11:29 PM 9/13/99 +0100, Graham Klyne wrote:

The case I am considering is to do with fax image formats, so that doesn't
really help.  I was checking to ascertain whether or not there might be an
existing mechanism before considerations turn to inventing someting new.

Ahh, then maybe it makes sense to resurrect my draft for one-pass
processing, or at least something similar?

Well, maybe.

As it stands, "-1pass-" is not quite enough because it deals with content
types only, and we wish to distinguish different instances of the same
content type, but I believe we've discussed this...

Actually, the idea of sending multiple copies of data is not favoured by
many for Internet fax -- an idea I have been playing with, though, is to
use a combination of multipart/alternative and message/external-body.  But
that is dogged by the one-pass issue.

#g

Graham Klyne
(GK(_at_)ACM(_dot_)ORG)