Re: reason for application/iotp-xml (was RE: Registration of MIME med ia type APPLICATION/IOTP)

2000-03-12 16:15:01
the notion of something useful being possible with an arbitrary
'video/foo' type that my application doesn't understand just doesn't
fly.

yes, but it does seem fairly common to have a "universal video tool" that
understands most video formats - perhaps even formats that the MIME
reader doesn't know about.  having such a tool as the default handler
for video/* allows your MIME reader to play video clips even when the
specific video/ type isn't registered with it.  similarly for audio/*.

Exactly right. I'd also add "image" to the list.

                                Ned