Folding and whitespace in Mime parameters

2000-09-06 04:18:07
The various Mime RFCs make regular use of parameters in the form
        ...; attribute=value
where attribute is a token and value is a token or a quoted-string.

That is a nice tidy system, leaving room for extra parameters to be added
as extensions, and we are adapting it for use in the forthcoming RFC1036
update.

This means we need to specify a precise syntax, including [CFWS] in the
proper places, since we are following the style of the DRUMS revision of
RFC822. So the question arises as to where comments, folding and
whitespace are allowed (which is not easy to discover from the Mime
standards).

My understanding is that the full syntax should be:
        ...[CFWS];[CFWS]attribute[CFWS]=[CFWS]value[CFWS]
and I base that on the assumption that a token is an atom, and can
therefore have [CFWS] either side of it. Certainly quoted-string can have
[CFWS] either side according to DRUMS.

Is that correct? If not, why not?

Email:     chl(_at_)clw(_dot_)cs(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk  Web:
http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Voice/Fax: +44 161 437 4506      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9     Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7  65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5