Re: draft-khanna-smtp-mail-transfer-reliability-00.txt

2000-10-04 09:38:49
At 12:55 PM 10/4/00 +0100, Graham Klyne wrote:
But I wonder if there isn't a real problem out there in parts of the world where Internet bandwidth is considerably less plentiful and reliable than most of us have come to expect. Mobile devices would be another case in point.

I think the interesting nugget in this draft is the idea that an SMTP client may request retransmission of a partially transmitted message in a new SMTP session, and if the server is prepared to continue a previous transaction it provides information about the point from which retransmission should continue.

Indeed. But I thought that RFC 1845, SMTP Service Extension for Checkpoint/Restart, attacked that problem, though it is not used widely.

d/

=-=-=-=-=
Dave Crocker  <dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>
Brandenburg Consulting  <www.brandenburg.com>
Tel: +1.408.246.8253,  Fax: +1.408.273.6464
675 Spruce Drive,  Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA