Re: Allowing MTAs to split messages to different recipients

2001-01-18 08:02:00
--On Thursday, 18 January, 2001 02:35 +0100 Jacob Palme
<jpalme(_at_)dsv(_dot_)su(_dot_)se> wrote:

I guess what I should get is some simple MTA which I can
run on my personal computer and which does this for me.
It need not handle incoming mail, only outgoing mail.

Of course, if you do this, you will sooner or later discover the
importance of the "prevent MTA abuse" properties of relay
blocking. I recommend either Harald's model of an SSH tunnel or
SMTP authentication.

SMTP AUTH or SMTP-after-POP seems like a possible solution to
the needs of travelling mail users. Are there standards on
this? Why have they not been accepted?

There are for SMTP AUTH, and they have been (see RFC 2554).  I
use them every day.

Do they use simple
passwords, or do they use crypthographic authorisation -
such authorisation seems to have much difficulty getting
accepted.

Either way, although you may not find both in a given
client-server combination.  On the other hand, you need to only
find one pair with which you are satisfied.  I understand that
[even] MS Outlook Express supports the client side, although
there is an implementation error (relative to the standard) in
at least some versions.

    john