Re: The <cid: ...> URL - who implements it?

2001-02-12 03:00:45
On Fri, 9 Feb 2001, Charles Lindsey
<chl(_at_)clw(_dot_)cs(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk> wrote:
In <p0501041fb6a87853966b(_at_)[130(_dot_)237(_dot_)150(_dot_)141]> Jacob
Palme <jpalme(_at_)dsv(_dot_)su(_dot_)se>
writes:

This might be a solution, although a problem is that many
mailers handle all body parts except the first as attachments,
even if they have Content-Disposition: Inline on them.

Turnpike is the only mail/news reader I know of that handles multiparts
truly inline

I'm sure there is more than one!

(you can even change Content-ID several times within the same
line if you are careful). They claim, of course, that theirs is the only
true implementation of Mime,

We have never claimed that it is the "only true implementation of Mime".

Turnpike does not generate messages with consecutive text multipart
sections on the same text line (i.e. all text/* generated by Turnpike
are terminated with CRLF). However, if it were to receive such a
message, with consecutive text/* parts without terminating CRLFs, it
would interpret the text as being on a single line.

I would say that such an implementation is a _reasonable_ interpretation
of MIME, and probably even a natural one. Generating such things is a
different matter, of course.

It is somewhat more restricted than HTML in that you
cannot mix picture and text in the same text line.

Turnpike can.

No it can't - it will only concatenate consecutive text/* parts that
lack intermediate CRLFs.

--
Ian Bell                                           T U R N P I K E