Status of UTF-8 headers?

2001-04-29 13:04:32
Some two years ago, there was a discussion on this mailing list of adding
UTF-8 character set support in headers to e-mail, and an expressed
consensus that this was where everyone was wanting to go in the long term.
This was stated to be a post-DRUMS project, which at the time was expected
to conclued in a few months.

DRUMS unfortunately took much longer than anyone wanted, but it's now
complete.  I'd really like to see unified handling of UTF-8 in headers
between e-mail and netnews, and as the USEFOR draft is making very little
progress, it seems likely to me that this is feasible.  Are there any
plans in the works for starting the UTF-8 header work for e-mail (probably
after a few months off for everyone involved in DRUMS to catch their
breath), and if so, would the people working on that be interested in
finding solutions that would also work for netnews?

--
Russ Allbery (rra(_at_)stanford(_dot_)edu)
<http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>