Re: Mailing list addition of resent headers

2001-05-23 10:19:48
What's the fundamental distinction between an agent redistributing mail
to a list and another agent forwarding mail to, say, a new email address
given in a .forward file?  Is it only that the list redistribution
rewrites the Return-Path: whereas .forward processing doesn't?  Is this
why you see list redistribution as more of a MUA function than an MTA
one?

I don't know whether it is a fundamental distinction, we just recognize
that there's a place for each.  Offhand, I would suggest that

- forwarding is appropriate for a very small # of addresses,
  list handling is more appropriate for a larger number
  (so that for instance the sender of a message to a list doesn't
  get a bounce message for every list member whose mail delivery fails)

- forwarding is appropriate when the relevant addresses are all
  under control of the same person (or of a small # of people)
  (so that changing the destination of error reports is not
  so much of an issue)

- forwarding is more appropriate for private redistribution than
  for public lists to which anyone may subscribe.

as for the MUA/MTA distinction - many public lists do things like
munging headers, interpreting message content, and/or filtering
message content, all of which are arguably UA functions.

Keith