Re: Use of List- headers in MUAs

2001-05-25 02:06:17
On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 06:30:54PM +0200, Jacob Palme
(jpalme(_at_)dsv(_dot_)su(_dot_)se) wrote: Re: Use of List- headers in MUAs

[...]

Here are my ideas on how a good MUA could interpret
LIST-headers:

The MUA should keep a data base of all mailing lists,
whose names have occurred in incoming List-headers.
Possibly, there might be a procedure to remove old
items which have not been seen recently from this
list.

The MUA should in some way ask the user, whether the
user wants to join mailing lists on this list.

I like the idea to an extent. I think it would be very important
that any standard requiring this of MUAs also guaranteed a way
to get an address removed from a List.

I can already see abuse of the List header by advertisers.
Coupled with a six year old that likes clicking on buttons in a
GUI MUA you've got a recipe for disaster.

[...]

The MUA should provide commands for joining and
leaving mailing lists, based on the list of known

I've seen this feature in an MUA before. I agree that it is
an excellent idea.

Regards,

--
leo vegoda