Re: Resource Records for RFC2919

2001-05-23 14:29:59
** Sometime around 15:48 -0400 05/13/01, Vince Sabio said:

I received a question about RFC2919 from a friend of mine who works for a list hosting site. His question is:

I spoke to the mail guys about implementing RFC2919 compliant header
stripping and insertion and they said it would be really easy to do (read:
no code change necessary).  The difficult part, however, is the part of
the RFC where it talks about extending DNS as the namespace for managing
unique list-ids.

The RFC doesn't give any specific recommendations about how to implement
the resolution of list-ids through DNS.  Do you think that they were
envisioning list-id resolution through DNS by smart MUAs?

If so, do you have any notion of what type of RR we would use for
list-ids?  Should *.list-id.DOMAIN.com be A records with associated MXs?

I went to the RFC authors with this question, and wanted to follow up here with their response in case there's interest in application of 2919:

Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 10:05:49 -0400
To: "Vince Sabio" <vsabio(_at_)isoc(_dot_)org>, gwenger(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com
From: Rob Chandhok <chandhok(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com>
Subject: Re: Resource Records for RFC2919

Vince,

The thrust of RFC2919 was to define the namespace. We specifically did NOT address the use of DNS records for any specific purpose in order to get the simple namespace definition through the standards process.

It's not clear to me that the right implementation would be an A/MX records pair or if there would be some other preferred implementation of a "smart list resolver". For now, I wouldn't even put DNS records in place for *.list-id.DOMAIN.

Hope this helps.
Rob

Vince Sabio
vsabio(_at_)vjs(_dot_)org