RE: what's a good format for sending messages to a moderator?

2001-05-24 03:58:29
Best would be if your bulk mailer program maintained a copy of the message
itself in a unique filename.  Then send a message to the moderator or
moderators, which has a unique Subject line that includes a unique string.

Every MUA supports a reply function which preserves the subject line
(sometimes with a certain limit).

The bulk mailer program can use the subject line to locate the copy of
the original message and inject it to the mailing list if the moderator
approves it.  If the moderator explicitly rejects it, the bulk mailer
program can generate the 'your message was rejected by the moderator'
message.  And if a message isn't accepted or rejected in NNN hours the
bulk mailer could decide to simply forward the message to the mailing
list (under the assumption the moderator is on vacation or otherwise
unavailable).

This works with all UAs, doesn't worry about addition of ">" or
forwarding headers, etc., and avoids problems with the moderator
censoring a portion of a message, munging which interferes with poorly-
encoded MIME, yadda yadda yadda.

-d