Re: what's a good format for sending messages to a moderator?

2001-05-24 08:22:13
Well, I don't know about good but I'll tell you what I do.  :-)

When a message needs to be approved for distribution, the message
remains in the email queue on my server.  Three reasons why I think this
is a good thing:

    1. Maintains the integrity of the original message.

    2. I can send warning/delayed messages while the message remains in
       the queue.  As an extension I can also return the message when it
       has been in the queue long enough.  This assume you have a queue
       where a message "sit" until it is released.

    3. I can send reminders to the moderator while the message remains
       in the queue.  As an extension, I can even change who the
       moderator is and start the process again.

What I send to the moderator is a message that is multipart/mixed.  The
first part begins with the command to release the message (but see
below), continues with an explanation of what is happening, and finishes
with the alternate commands (delete, reject, etc.).  The second part is
a copy of the message.  The message is setup so that the envelope from
is NULL and the message from points to where the command must go.  The
explanation includes a pointer to a "help desk."

Moderators typically need only "reply" to the message, make one change
to the command, and the message will be released.  Commands include an
internal identifier for the message and a one-time use token for a
modicum of security.

The change they have to make is change a keyword "no" to be "yes" in the
command.  The reason for this is it never ceases to amaze me the broken
things that mailers do.  I have had experiences where a moderator
message is returned, goes to the command server, but fortunately does no
harm since I require this change.

Jim