Re: CRs in messages

2001-05-29 02:39:13

But surely, the thing is that if all the other MTA/MUAs are working
correctly, then they'll be sending the line terminators as CRLF, so if you
expect CRLF then you are obeying the standards. If the other MTA/MUAs
aren't working correctly, then they will either send commands with CR or LF
terminators in which case you can then set your MTA to expect ANY line
terminators, or it will send commands with a CRLF in which case you have
the fallback that you can point the finger at the other person's software
and say that it's not behaving correctly.

I can't see how this can be worse than just expecting the standard line
terminators all the time -

The altnerative that works better is to provide an option that lets you
unconditionally accept bare CR or LF as a terminator. Basing the decision on
what's used in commands offered no advantage over insisting on CRLF when I
tried it.

I think we're going to have 3 options - (a) be strict, (b) 'automatic' (the server tries to guess somehow), (c) be flexible. That should make everyone happy ;-)

Paul                            VPOP3 - Internet Email Server/Gateway
paul(_at_)pscs(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk                        http://www.pscs.co.uk/