Re: CRs in messages

2001-05-29 03:08:33

I can't see how this can be worse than just expecting the standard line
terminators all the time -

The altnerative that works better is to provide an option that lets you
unconditionally accept bare CR or LF as a terminator. Basing the decision on
what's used in commands offered no advantage over insisting on CRLF when I
tried it.

I've just this minute seen a bad SMTP server response which makes me wonder about all this...

I send a remote MTA a 'EHLO my.server.com' command and it responds with:

250-OK<CR><CR><LF>
250-SIZE 3072000<CR><CR><LF>
250 8BITMIME<CR><LF>

Unsurprisingly this upsets things as <CR><CR><LF> isn't a line terminator our MTA recognises at the moment... (It sees <CR><CR> and says 'oh, this is an MTA which uses bare <CR>s as line terminators, so it has a blank line in the response). It's not consistent even then, because normal responses use <CR><LF> it only seems to be the multiline responses which use <CR><CR><LF>

(The remote MTA is at mail.commerceqld.com.au if anyone wants to look..)

I wonder how much time 'good' MTA developers put in around the world to be able to handle all the situations caused by 'bad' MTA developers..

Paul                            VPOP3 - Internet Email Server/Gateway
paul(_at_)pscs(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk                        http://www.pscs.co.uk/