Re: Quoted Local-Part

2001-08-15 21:07:12

Quoting Lee Thompson <lt(_at_)seattlelab(_dot_)com>, who wrote:
Have a couple quick questions regarding quoted local-part addresses.     I
realize this is the 822 group but this is affecting our MTA on both the RFC
821 MAIL FROM/RCPT TO and the 822 headers.

1. Are quotes taken as literal delimiters in comments?   E.g.
                Joe(A comment ")" here)User(_at_)arrgh(_dot_)org

I was pretty sure you could put a quoted string in a comment, but I
checked, and no, you can't. You can put a quoted pair in though:

    Joe(A comment \) here)User(_at_)arrgh(_dot_)org
    Joe(A comment with a double quote " here)User(_at_)arrgh(_dot_)org

2.  Is there such a thing as a comment in a literal such that the comment
gets
stripped?
                "Joe(The Thug) User"@arrgh.org

No, it's not a comment if its in a quoted string.

3. Should comments be omitted in any 821/2821 envelope?    Is it better just
to pass through quoted stuff completely untouched?  Should a quote char '\'
be stripped out when found - or just passed on?

Sorry, I'm not really familiar with 821.

4. We've run into a particular MTA that does not escape commas in quoted
local-parts which appear to be contrary to at least RFC 2822.   E.g.
"8379,39082"@domain.com          It seems prudent to accept this as is and
continue on.

The only thing you have to quote in a quoted string is the double
quote and backslash.

Cheers,
Sam

--
Sam Roberts <sroberts(_at_)uniserve(_dot_)com> (Vivez sans temps mort!)