Re: Source routing syntax

2001-12-07 03:39:35

Keith Moore <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu> writes:

frankly, it would be really insane to re-establish source routing
for email in order to make it easier to fragment DNS.   if we're
going to take two giant steps backward in networking, why not go
all the way back to semaphores and smoke signals?

I'm pretty confident that DNS fragmentation is going to happen.  In
fact, it has already taken place.  If you are a company which is
among the first to gain control over a moderately sized DNS fragment,
you can make a lot of money, probably comparable to the existing
registrars.  So there's a big short-term economic incentive to
fragment DNS, although it certainly is a major step backwards.

However, email should continue to work in such horror scenarios Maybe.
the percent hack is enough for that, though                          .