Re: Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-klyne-msghdr-registry-02.txt

2002-01-31 14:40:39

this sounds like a variant of the cliche about security through obscurity.

that's a lousy analogy.  we're not talking about security here, we're
essentially talking about a social convention.

my point was about the design approach that attempts to control behavior by
ugliness.

ugliness is your personal judgement.  I think X- is beautiful.

we quite often use visual cues to call attention to special circumstances:

- colored flashing lights on emergency vehicles
- warning signs on top of a student driver's automobile
- yellow tape surrounding a construction area or crime scene
- colored dots on IETF nametags

X- is just another visual cue.

it's like the effort to prevent use of tcp header prediction -- which
permitted a tripling of tcp throughput -- because it would permit ethernet
users to get an unfair share of the line.

no it's not.  we're not talking about preventing people from doing
anything here.

Keith