Re: Content-Transfer-Encoding and yEnc

2002-04-10 06:59:24

I agree CTE seems a great place to put transport-layer compression. But...
you can't do it without apps that don't understand the new CTEs (all of them,
right now) not decoding the content, and in addition they will treat it
as application/octet-stream.

Isn't that what will happen? It just seems to me there is no migration
path. Am I missing something?

yes, but at least for now, we're talking about usenet - and usefor is already
significantly revising the format for usenet messages.  usenet UAs will need
to be upgraded to support the new encodings.  usenet users will probably
continue to explicitly send split-up .zip files, .gz files or whatever until
UAs widely support those encodings, but the UAs will eventually do so.

for those that don't it should still be possible to save the message and
feed it to an external decoder.

Keith