Re: Content-Transfer-Encoding and yEnc

2002-04-12 00:55:27

rra(_at_)stanford(_dot_)edu (Russ Allbery)  wrote on 09.04.02 in
<ylit70z2gw(_dot_)fsf(_at_)windlord(_dot_)stanford(_dot_)edu>:

Yes, that sounds extremely annoying, and that certainly doesn't happen to
me.  Apparently it's not as ubiquitous as it should be, but when I visit
gzipped content on the web, it's decompressed on the fly by the browser
and then handled as if it weren't compressed.

Something that *I* find bloody annoying. When I download a file named
bla.tar.gz, and then apply tar tvzf to it, I *don't* want to see "not in
gzipped format"! And when I then download bla.tar.gz.sign, I'd like to
verify that the archive really matches the cryptographic checksum, but if
it's already uncompressed I can't.

Personally, I call this automatic decompression "broken".

MfG Kai