Re: IDN (was Did anyone tell Microsoft yet?)

2002-04-25 09:55:34

   From: "Charles Lindsey" <chl(_at_)clw(_dot_)cs(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk>
   Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 11:33:46 GMT
[...]
   BUT, whatever we do, please let us do the SAME THING for both 'jürgen' and
   'tu-münchen'.

This is very important to me---the local part and the domain should be
encoded in the same way whenever possible.  I think we'll have
huge implementation problems if we end up with two different
stringprep algorithms and two different encodings for a single e-mail
address.

(I also suspect that the SMTP envelope needs to be encoded the same
way as the RFC 822 header fields but I can believe that this is less
critical.)

Larry