Re: RFC 2047 and gatewaying

2003-01-03 21:31:13

Quoteing ned+ietf-822(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com, on Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at
08:03:02PM -0800:
OTOH, one hears rumours that the Chinese are not altogether happy.

Hardly a rumor. The Chinese dislike Unicode, or perhaps more accurately the
UTF-8 and UTF-16 encodings of Unicode, sufficiently to have defined a new

Why?

Sam

charset called GB18030 that is backwards compatible with GBK and GB2312 but
can
handle the full Unicode repetoire as well. And it is my understanding that
there may come a day where GB18030 support will be required in order to sell
some software in China.

Writing code to support GB18030 isn't fun at all. I know; I've done it.

                              Ned