Re: RFC 2047 and gatewaying

2003-01-04 07:38:04

rra(_at_)stanford(_dot_)edu (Russ Allbery)  wrote on 03.01.03 in
<ylfzs9pq4c(_dot_)fsf(_at_)windlord(_dot_)stanford(_dot_)edu>:

Kai Henningsen <kaih(_at_)khms(_dot_)westfalen(_dot_)de> writes:
rra(_at_)stanford(_dot_)edu (Russ Allbery) wrote:

that all software will soon expect any untagged 8-bit data to be in
Unicode,

That part is baseless exaggeration.

Quite to the contrary, that's a summary of the basic foundation of the
current draft,

Don't be silly.

and is exactly what has been argued by multiple people on
the USEFOR list on multiple occasions.

Not where I have seen it, and I've been in a number of those threads.

What *has* been argued is that *if* USEFOR says naked UTF-8 in headers is
ok, then interpreting unencoded news headers as UTF-8 is going to be
pretty much universal pretty fast - note the sharply limited domain here -
and that, as the idea has now been around for a few years, some people
already started writing their software along those lines.

That is *very* far from "any untagged 8-bit data is UTF-8".

Though, of course, I'm sure there already is software which tries this.
Oh, yes: XML has a rule that sounds very similar to this (it's either UTF-
8 or UTF-16; mail and news obviously can't use UTF-16 that way - 8bit
clean is not binary clean).

MfG Kai