Re: RFC 2047 and gatewaying

2003-01-06 22:32:00

Just to make sure this doesn't get by without comment:

On 1/4/03 at 2:06 AM -0500, Leo Bicknell wrote:

Change the RFC, then complain about the program.

Sorry, we don't do that in the IETF. The IETF standards process doesn't make up rules and then make everybody fix their code. In the IETF, standards simply document the current state of affairs of interoperable running code. When we work on Proposed Standards where there is no running code, we sometimes propose ways of doing things and ask people to make their implementations a certain way, but we don't tell people who are following a current standard that they are hereafter wrong without pretty impressive reasons. We do "de facto" standards, not "de jure" ones.

pr
--
Pete Resnick <mailto:presnick(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com>
QUALCOMM Incorporated - Direct phone: (858)651-4478, Fax: (858)651-1102