Re: distinguishing between utf-8 and gb18030

2003-01-16 18:00:18

Keith,

Keith> On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 07:45:55 -0800
Keith> Dave Crocker <dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com> wrote:

Keith,

Although well intentioned, you are pursuing a question that is
fundamentally irrelevant to an IETF technical effort.

Keith> That's okay, ietf-822 is no longer an IETF working group,

then it's probably a good thing that I said "ietf technical effort"
rather than "ietf working group".  I hope you are not suggesting that
this discussion list pertains to something other than ietf technical
work.  If you are, please explain.

Keith> IETF working
Keith> groups do need to evaluate the feasibility of proposals, and part
Keith> of that is understanding the impact on the installed base.  For
Keith> better or worse, and in spite of language in the standards
Keith> prohibiting such behavior, extensive use of unencoded non-ASCII
Keith> text in message headers has been observed.

1.  And it was discussed ad nauseum 10 years ago.  Nothing we are
hearing now sounds any different.

2.  I apologize for worrying about the efficiency of the discussion.
Deprivation of service attacks, by distraction of the conversation flow,
seems to be the norm on many IETF lists.  I apologize for being
concerned that this one try to reduce the problem.

Keith> Anyway, at this stage I'm just asking a question - not
Keith> making any kind of proposal to be attacked, nor even presuming
Keith> such a proposal.

When did you stop beating your dog?

Please don't get upset.  I'm just asking a question.

Oh.  I guess some questions really do have some negative impact.

d/
--
 Dave <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>
 t +1.408.246.8253; f +1.408.850.1850