RFC 2231 and CFWS

2003-01-22 14:37:36

I want to understand exactly where FWS and comments may occur under RFC
2231 parameters, so that I may describe it correctly in Usefor.

In the following, '()' represents a position where whitespace, folding
or comments may occur (i.e. CFWS in RFC 2822 terminology).

So, prior to 2231, a parameter can be

    ()token()=()token()
or  ()token()=()"quoted-string"()

Under 2231, we can also have an asterisk, possibly followed by DIGITS,
between the token and the '='. So are they to be considerd as an
appendage to the token, or as a prependage to the "=" or, IOW, where may
I put () amongst them? RFC 2231 is not at all clear on this. The "worst
case" scenario would allow:

Is that correct, and if not what is?

Also, I presume that the charset and language form can have () before
and after, but nowhere in the middle, as in

    ....=()us-ascii'en_US'foo%20bar()

Email: chl(_at_)clw(_dot_)cs(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk      Snail: 5
Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.