Re: RFC 2231 and CFWS

2003-02-04 10:45:50

Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:

Charles Lindsey writes:

Yes, but a hypothetical charset could also contain 56 single quotes.

There's a long list of allowed charset names somewhere in Assigned Numbers. It was on pages 101-118 of RFC 1700 (I'm behind the times, I guess). I confidently expect that no charset name containing 56 single quotes will be allowed onto that list, and not because of the 40-character length limit.

RFC 1700 has been replaced by an on-line set of documents at
http://www.iana.org/numbers.html

The charsets are at
http://www.iana.org/assignments/character-sets

According to my understanding, the 40-character limit is for charset
names used with RFC 1759 Printer MIBs and does not apply in general.
RFC 2978 doesn't specify a limit for mime-charset, but obviously
anything longer than 68 chars won't be useful for a 2047 encoded-word.
There are a couple of registered charsets with names a bit longer than
40 chars; the longest is 45 chars.

None of the registered names has *any* single quotes or percent signs.