Filtering outgoing messages on DNS names or local-part structure

2003-06-06 13:02:55

Hi.

I recently posted draft-klensin-name-filters-01.txt as an I-D. It addresses the issues raised by web sites thinking they know all of the top-level domain names (so that, e.g., forms that specify domains of ".museum" or ".aero" are rejected as invalid) and by various applications that are convinced they know the valid formats of email local-parts and hence reject foo+bar(_at_)domain, bar/baz(_at_)domain, and a series of other things as invalid.

It is just an analysis and reprise of existing standards, and doesn't propose any new standards. The hope is that, by drawing things together into one place, we might have something easy to point to and get a bit more conformance.

Comments welcome.

   john