Multi-message reply and "References:"

2003-06-06 13:15:47

[I am sending this message to the IETF-822(_at_)imc(_dot_)org mailing list and I am Bcc'ing the USEFOR list. Please post all follow-ups to the IETF-822 list; it is a discussion that USEFOR people will be interested, but certainly doesn't belong on that list.]

Though I am not working on Eudora full-time anymore, occasionally I still do write code and discuss new features. We've got a new feature we're implementing in Eudora: Replying to multiple messages. With this feature, you can select multiple messages and hit "Reply", and Eudora will address the reply to all of the senders of the original message (Cc'ing all of the recipients if you say "Reply-to-All"), quote the text of those messages in the reply (in some fancy ways that have to do with another feature that's being worked on), and allow you to edit your reply. That's all well and good.

When the reply is formed, two additional fields appear in the header of the message you send: "In-Reply-To:" and "References:". Forming the "In-Reply-To:" is easy. You take the message-id's of all of the messages to which you're replying and put them in.

But "References:" is a different problem. As it is used in usenet and elsewhere now, everything assumes a single rooted thread. But when replying to multiple messages, you can end up with a multi-rooted thread. And if you reply to two messages that have a common root, you end up with branches re-joining. I've got an idea of what a "References": field should look like, but I thought others might want to give their input.

Below is a message from Steve Dorner with the idea that he and I worked out. We'd like a little feedback on the proposal, including how badly it's going to screw up current implementations. (Screwing up current implementations is not a show-stopper, but we'd consider reasonable workarounds if you can come up with some.) All of the below is perfectly within the 822/2822 semantics, but it's definitely not something that anything can deal with now.

Comments?

pr

--- begin forwarded text

Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 11:23:12 -0700
To: Eudora-Losers:;
From: Steve Dorner <sdorner(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com>
Subject: multi reply and references

Pete and I spent some time discussing how to build proper In-Reply-To: and References: headers for replying to more than one message at a time.

Review:

When you reply to a message, you put that message's message-id in the In-Reply-To header. You copy any References header from that message into the new message, and append the original message-id to it. So if I have messages 1 (the original), 2 (a reply to 1) and 3 (a reply to 2), the headers look like:

1:

2:

3:

Now let's suppose we have message 4 as a reply to 1, and 5 as a reply to 4. Those messages look like:

4:

5:

Now, through the magic of the content concentrator and multiple reply, we reply to 3 and 5 simultaneously. The resulting message should be constructed as follows:

6:

Now let's assume message 7 is a reply to messages 1-5. It should be constructed thus:

7:

How did we come up with that? Well, the theory behind the references header is that it should trace the entire thread. In our case, we're combining threads, and so we want to represent each thread uniquely and distinctly, but not redundantly. The algorithm is as follows:

- Make a list of all messages being replied to.

- Take all the message-id's from the messages in the list and put them into the new In-Reply-To:.

- Aggregate all the references from all the messages in the list. For each message in the list, search for that message's message-id in the aggregated references. If it appears, remove it from the list (because it is being referred to by another message, it's clear

- For each message left in the list, take its references, append its own message-id, and add it to the references for the new message.

There are two more complications.

First complication: replying to a combined thread. Suppose message 8 is a reply to 7. We think its References header should reflect all the threads it continues, and therefore should be constructed thus:

8:

You know that the threads have been combined because 1 appears twice, and you can figure out the sequencing. (What a doctrinaire reference threading UI does with this, I neither know nor care, but at least the information is there.)

Second complication: replying to combined DISTINCT threads.

Suppose we have message A, B as a reply to A, and C as a reply to B. We now reply to 3 and C, to form message X. The references header would be generated thus, according to the above algorithm:

X:

The problem is that there is no way to tell that A is not a reply to 3. Here is where we will have to invent syntax. Either we make a special "new thread" message-id and insert it:

Or we add a new header:

Either option would preserve the information that 1 2 3 and A B C are distinct threads. Probably we would revise message 8 to follow whatever explicit syntax we use to solve this problem, even though it's not strictly necessary:

8':

8'':

--- end forwarded text

--
Pete Resnick <mailto:presnick(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com>
QUALCOMM Incorporated - Direct phone: (858)651-4478, Fax: (858)651-1102