Re: Multi-message reply and "References:"

2003-06-19 10:07:23

Nathaniel Borenstein writes:
Presumably trn does this by inference when possible, but I can't
believe it is *always* possible

Obviously it isn't always possible. For example, if you don't have the
most recent message in the thread, trn won't include that message in its
picture of the thread.

But none of the proposed More-Thread-Info fields will change this fact,
no matter what trn might do to support them. More-Thread-Info can't say
anything about messages that don't exist yet!

People keep saying that new fields will help message readers do a better
job. I'm asking for evidence to support this claim. References is not
quite _all_ of the available information, but this doesn't mean that
there's any other _useful_ information.

---D. J. Bernstein, Associate Professor, Department of Mathematics,
Statistics, and Computer Science, University of Illinois at Chicago