Re: Format=Flowed/RFC 2646 Bis (-01)

2003-06-26 12:34:38

Randall Gellens <randy(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com> wrote:

<ftp://ftp.pensive.org/Public/Randy/draft-gellens-format-bis-01.txt>.

Overall it looks good, but I'm confused by some statements in section
5.5:

    A sequence of quoted lines of the same quote depth SHOULD be encoded
    as a paragraph, with the last line generated as fixed and prior
    lines generated as flowed.

    Consecutive lines with the same quoting depth are considered one
    paragraph and are reformatted together.

The following example seems to refute both statements:

The quick brown fox jumps over*
the lazy dog.#
#
Four score and seven years ago*
our fathers brought forth on*
this continent a new nation.#

That's a sequence of six consecutive lines, all at the same quote depth,
but it's clearly two paragraphs and one blank line, not one paragraph.

I think all this section is really trying to say is that whenever two
adjacent lines have different quote depths, senders should ensure that
the earlier line is fixed (does not end in a space), and receivers
should treat the earlier line as fixed regardless of whether it ends
with a space.  The additional remarks about paragraphs and sections and
sequences of lines are misleading (for me at least).

By the way, the phrase "quote depth" occurs seven times, and the phrase
"quoting depth" occurs twice.  You might want to make those consistent.

AMC