Re: Format=Flowed/RFC 2646 Bis (-01)

2003-10-23 18:27:02

Sorry for the delay in responding.

At 7:34 PM +0000 6/26/03, Adam M. Costello wrote:

 Randall Gellens <randy(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com> wrote:

 <ftp://ftp.pensive.org/Public/Randy/draft-gellens-format-bis-01.txt>.

 Overall it looks good, but I'm confused by some statements in section
 5.5:

     A sequence of quoted lines of the same quote depth SHOULD be encoded
     as a paragraph, with the last line generated as fixed and prior
     lines generated as flowed.

     Consecutive lines with the same quoting depth are considered one
     paragraph and are reformatted together.

 The following example seems to refute both statements:

The quick brown fox jumps over*
the lazy dog.#
#
Four score and seven years ago*
our fathers brought forth on*
this continent a new nation.#

 That's a sequence of six consecutive lines, all at the same quote depth,
 but it's clearly two paragraphs and one blank line, not one paragraph.

 I think all this section is really trying to say is that whenever two
 adjacent lines have different quote depths, senders should ensure that
 the earlier line is fixed (does not end in a space), and receivers
 should treat the earlier line as fixed regardless of whether it ends
 with a space.  The additional remarks about paragraphs and sections and
 sequences of lines are misleading (for me at least).

I added some text to clarify things, and also included your suggested sentence as an "in other words".

 By the way, the phrase "quote depth" occurs seven times, and the phrase
 "quoting depth" occurs twice.  You might want to make those consistent.

Thanks.  Now it's always "quote depth".

--
Randall Gellens
-------------- Randomly-selected tag: ---------------