Re: FYI: BOF on Internationalized Email Addresses (IEA)

2003-10-29 00:52:20
On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 15:13:06 GMT, Zefram said:

It doesn't start to get tricky until we get into the eastern European
languages -- ASCII only intentionally provides western European
diacriticals.

"Macrons and carons and cedillas, oh my..." :)

Actually, ASCII doesn't intentionally provide any diacriticals. Western
European diacriticals are in the Unicode Latin-1 Supplement, and (as you
correctly note) some of us of the eastern European persuasion need characters
from Latin-A and/or Latin-B to actually do things...

Cue the debate about whether the diacritic should go before or after
the base letter.

So tell me, does the dot on an 'i' go before or after the base letter?

(OK, so I'm just touchy because nobody on this side of the big puddle
wants to deal with the fact that the 3rd letter of the preferred spelling of
my last name is Unicode codepoint 0113 (Latin small e with macron)).