Re: FYI: BOF on Internationalized Email Addresses (IEA)

2003-10-29 09:45:26

On 10:31 28/10/03, Zefram said:
I think the first task in this area should be to investigate the nature and degree of desire for non-ASCII local parts. This desire needs to be weighed against the benefits we derive from writing all local parts in a small, fixed alphabet (ASCII printables).

May I ask which part of the world you come from?

This being said only Americans want/are satisfied with "internationalized" (sic) names (the artificial extension of the American character set with most of the American foreign scripting, within an ascii frame). No one really wants multilingual names (a totally internationalized (sic) frame supporting languages and therefore some language oriented rules - at least ni management and user support). The users need vernacular support, that is to be able to freely do in the mail what they use to do elsewhere.

I note that for non-American writers "international names" means names that everyone from every nation will understand. It happens to be the ascii character set limited to the DNS used names (they were selected for that reason).
jfc