Re: FYI: BOF on Internationalized Email Addresses (IEA)

2003-10-29 10:55:51

I suspect it would much more useful if people tried to characterize
what they and their cohorts want, rather than trying to characterize what some
other group wants.

This being said only Americans want/are satisfied with "internationalized"
(sic) names (the artificial extension of the American character set with
most of the American foreign scripting, within an ascii frame). No one
really wants multilingual names (a totally internationalized (sic) frame
supporting languages and therefore some language oriented rules - at least
ni management and user support). The users need vernacular support, that is
to be able to freely do in the mail what they use to do elsewhere.

I note that for non-American writers "international names" means names that
everyone from every nation will understand. It happens to be the ascii
character set limited to the DNS used names (they were selected for that
reason).
jfc