Re: Revisiting RFC 2822 grammar

2004-01-17 07:46:12

Pete Resnick wrote:

On 1/15/04 at 9:59 PM +0000, Charles Lindsey wrote:

obs-phrase      =       word *(word / ("." [CFWS]))

OK, but that is not "obsolete". It is intended as an extension to be allowed sometime in the future on a "MUST accept, SHOULD NOT generate yet" basis. So please can we rename it as 'extended-phrase' (which is what I have currently put in Usefor).

I am not convinced this is worth it. It's explained perfectly well in the text.

I believe that the complaint is not about the explanation, but rather about the label,
which labels as "obs[olete]" something which has never been legal, and which
might at some point in the future be legalized. I.e., a different, more accurately
descriptive label is being requested.