Re: Revisiting RFC 2822 grammar (obs-utext and unstructured)

2004-02-07 17:10:51

On 2/7/04 at 9:11 AM -0500, Bruce Lilly wrote:

Two more points related to the 2822 grammar:
1. mixing vs. separating obs- and non-obs constructs
2. clarification of "obs"

I'm still going over the unstructured stuff from the last message (which look good from my first read), but on these two points specifically:

I think it's clearer to keep the obs- constructs out of the non-obs productions. Indeed, it becomes clearer still if that is pursued to its logical extreme:
[...]
i.e. the obs- constructs appear only in the obs-productions, rather than as an alternative in non-obs productions.

Though it may be clearer for someone actually coding a parsing engine, I'm not at all sure that it's clearer for other folks. I like being able to read through the "generation" grammar and find forward references to a difference in the "parser" grammar. I also kind of like the idea that you can't read the "generation" grammar and miss that there's some work to do in the parsing end. Finally, in terms of the prose, I think it will make it more confusing: In the current layout, any time you see "obs-" in section 4, you're going to see an explanation of that "obs-" construct. If we were to switch it, the explanations would be scattered about. I for one would rather leave this as-is.

The intent becomes further clarified with some name changes, especially for non-native English readers and/or casual readers:

gen-comments       =  "Comments" ":" gen-unstructured CRLF
parse-comments     =  "Comments" *WSP ":" parse-unstructured CRLF
etc.

to avoid a misunderstanding ("it's obsolete, therefore I don't have to deal with it at all").

I'm un-moved on this. I think having two labels makes things worse (clarity-wise), and I don't see "misunderstandings" of the "obs-" really being a problem.

pr
--
Pete Resnick <http://www.qualcomm.com/~presnick/>
QUALCOMM Incorporated - Direct phone: (858)651-4478, Fax: (858)651-1102