Re: New Internet Draft: draft-duerst-archived-at-00.txt

2004-02-22 08:08:29

Hello Bruce,

Many thanks for your comments.

At 20:37 04/02/20 -0500, Bruce Lilly wrote:
Keith Moore wrote:

> As long as the field remains completely unstructured, I see no need to
> support comments.  I'd probably change my mind if the field were changed
> to be, say, a list of URIs.

Comments are incompatible with URIs unless some quoting mechanism is used.
That is because URIs may contain parentheses, as in
http://users.erols.com/blilly/(foo)(bar)
See RFC2396 for URI syntax details.  RFC 2369 quotes URIs in angle brackets,
which are not themselves allowed in URIs.

I have disallowed comments.

One issue to consider is long URIs.  If comments are disallowed, no quoting
is required.  URIs cannot contain whitespace characters, so a simple way to
handle a long URI is to allow a URI to be line-folded; it can be reconstructed
by unfolding and eliding any whitespace.  To handle multiple URIs, a quoting
mechanism can be used where line folding and whitespace (but not comments)
are permitted within the quotes; the URI can be reconstructed as described
above. Comments could be permitted outside the quotes.

I have mentioned the length limitations of RFC 2822. I think the 78
limitation may be a bit tough in some cases, but the 998 limitation
should not cause any problems in practice.

Regards,   Martin.