Re: Mandatory From field, anonymity, and hacks

2004-07-29 19:36:25

Charles Lindsey wrote:

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 22:48:55 -0400, Keith Moore
<moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu> wrote:

On Jul 26, 2004, at 10:40 PM, Bruce Lilly wrote:

As noted above, the most important thing is that the sender envelope
address be usable.

in a news-to-mail gateway?  I think not.  the sender of a usenet
message  doesn't want to know whether some random recipient got the
message.

I believe the normal practice in a news-to-mail gateway would be to set
the Sender address and the Return-Path to the gateway.

The Sender header field has nothing to do with the envelope sender, and
the Return-Path field is set on *final* delivery, not by gateways.

Thank you for that. Bruce has been trying to say for months that
Netnews  is just a special kind of mail

That is an outrageous lie; I have never said any such thing.

I note that there are other protocols which depart from RFC 2822 much
more  than Netnews does, with the full blessing of the IESG (SIP, for
example).

SIP has nothing whatsoever to do with RFC 2822 Internet Message Format;
is is somewhat similar to HTTP, which it itself quite different from the
Internet Message Format.