Re: internationalization of mail

2004-08-27 01:51:44

Nick,
thanks.

On #3 I guess I wasn't clear.
If a Thai font is used, expecting data in a Thai encoding (TIS 620-2533 for
example) it may not matter that the data is mislabeled as long as it is
unchanged it will display the right character for each byte. But if the Thai
data has gone thru a conversion from 8859-1 to utf-8, the bytes will no longer
show the correct Thai characters, so for this situation the solution of simply
changing fonts no longer works. The data needs to be transcoded back to
(620-2533 or whatever) for the user to be able to display it.

tex

Nick Ing-Simmons wrote:
3) How well supported is utf-8? I know Eudora does not. Pretty much
everything else does, right? Or at least supports some subset of Unicode. I
am
a little concerned that if send out utf-8, then perhaps a Thai user, for
example, will find
his client doesnt support  Unicode Thai characters, but would have let him
display a native encoding...

That is possible, but typically UTF-8 aware applications "have" to fall
back to native encoded fonts (good Unicode fonts are still rare) so
in practice this will work.

Tex Texin   cell: +1 781 789 1898   mailto:Tex(_at_)XenCraft(_dot_)com

XenCraft                            http://www.XenCraft.com
Making e-Business Work Around the World