Re: [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-moore-mail-nr-fields-00.txt]

2004-09-01 11:25:51

Simon Josefsson <jas(_at_)extundo(_dot_)com> schrieb/wrote:
This might be, but at least my experience with deployed MUAs suggest
this isn't what is implemented today.  MUAs prefer the Reply-To over
From on "reply author".

Well, the "reply author" function is IMO just mislabelled. It actually
means: "reply to a small number of persons".

Most MUAs (the M here is for "message", including Netnews) have two
pre-defined reply functions: a narrow reply going to a small number of
persons and a broad reply going to a large number of persons, often via
newsgroups or mailing lits.

These can be called narrow/broad, reply/followup, reply-to-author/reply-
to-group, private/public, etc. but they are basically the same concept.

Strictly, mail does not know that concept but MUAs try to provide it to
the users. Mail-Followup-To provides that; this is why it's popular with

Keith Moore's proposal caters for the same problem (replies don't go
where they are supposed to go) and it's more compatible with existing
MUAs that don't understand the header. But it's more complex to under-
stand for the average user and it's not compatible with the mental model
users have made based on the common user agent UIs. And it still does
not provide a distinction between different types of replies, which is
what user agent desingers want to provide.

Claus
--
http://www.faerber.muc.de