Re: The job of an MSA

2004-09-02 09:35:25

At 5:33 PM -0400 8/16/04, Bruce Lilly wrote:

 Tony Hansen wrote:

 Given my druthers, I'd much rather see it be an extension only to the
 MSA SUBMIT protocol and not one that is expected to be implemented in MTAs.

 For the issue of efficient transfer where there is a bottleneck
 (e.g. a dialup connection to an ISP), it might not be practical
 to restrict it to the SUBMIT protocol; not all ISPs operate
 servers on port 587.

It's permitted to run an MSA on port 25; the issue isn't so much which port but which intended functionality: MTA or MSA. A server intended to accept connections from authorized users and receive initial submissions of mail is clearly an MSA. Putting it on port 587 just helps make this more clear, and allows for a clear separation of security policies between relay and submission. And has been noted, if you're upgrading anyway, it makes sense to listen on 587.
--
Randall Gellens
-------------- Randomly-selected tag: ---------------