Re: non-member messages to lists (was Re: reply etiquette)

2004-10-01 07:07:39

On 2004-10-01 22:26, Laird Breyer wrote:

Martin,

Thanks for the list of cases. I realize that when I wrote the comment
earlier, I formulated things clumsily, so I'd like to restate things
more precisely (hopefully) instead of replying to your points directly.
I can reply more directly in another comment if necessary.

Hi Laird,

thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately, I changed the subject since I
felt the topic was related to non-members.

Since I don't want to change the topic now again, let's live with this
topic above for some while. Maybe the discussion will be on non-members,
too :-/

Ok, general topic 'list replies', here we go...

The main issue I see is that some people like the following custom

1) always post messages only to the list address.

What is the culture clash? It appears that people who favour 1) do so
because they don't want to see duplicate messages in their MUA
systems.  [I myself favour 1)] From what I understand, it appears to
me that people who favour 2) want to receive personal copies so that
they don't inadvertently miss a reply to one of their own posts.

So as a mental picture, we could say that people who favour 1) are
happy to browse mailing lists and monitor all threads equally at their
leisure. People who favour 2) aren't prepared to monitor all threads
in a mailing list, but want to know asap anything that affects them
directly, such as a direct reply to one of their posts. This is just
a mental model to fix ideas.

I don't see that much of a problem here. I agree that people want to use -
or abuse - lists the way you explain.

But apart from the user's clash of culture, which is based on a very
personal flavour, it should depend on the idea of a list as well.

What's the idea of a mailing list?
A) one way announcements - e.g. some kind of newsletter or market group
B) dicussion lists

Some lists are configured in order to keep the traffic los: List admins
felt it's a good idea to keep feedback off the list. Only if the user
actually wants to send somethin to the list, he will have to change this
for his reply manually. I feel that's good for certain newsletters and
ANNounce boards. It's even good for a question - answer list.

But I feel that a 'discussion' list lives not only from the first question
but from the answer to this question which may be good (in order so that
others can learn from it) or bad (so that others should react on it) or
may give new questions.

Thus I'm very comfortable about my most interesting dicussion lists, which
set a 'Reply-To' header of the list and a mail reader that does ask me on
reply whether I actually want to answer to the reply-to (prefered default)
or to the original sender. Problem: If the sender defined a Reply-To on
his own, this is replaced by the list. Thus if you want to answer to the
author directly, you can't.

The other option that you mentionned concerned that some people prefer to
view messages as soon as possible which are replies to their own message.
That's a reasonable question. But I feel the best idea here would be some
kind of better threading or filtering in order to detect those messages
which are replies to my own message - e.g. control of my own message-id
and filtering on the In-Reply-To or References.

Unfortunately, a good threading is broken on many lists:
I)   most, but not all mail readers set References / In-Reply-To properly
II)  digest members have almost no choice to reuse references
III) many members don't mind, since there own mail reader does not
     know about threading

I) is a petty - and even worse since there's no hard standard how to mark
   a reply. Thus I use some kind of awkward 'set reply_regexp'
   which groups together at least which conforms to a set of
   subject prefixes out of
     Re: Re1: Re:2: Re^3: Re-4: RE[5]: AW: Antw: Antort: FW: FWD: WG: VS:
     SV: Accepted: Zugesagt:   (tbc.)
   in order to group at least by subject

II) view digests show the original message number at all. There's a small
set of lists around that does try to guess the original message by
comparing quoted text and former messages. Some of the do delete those
undesired full quotes as well.

I guess some digested lists do work as well by adding a thread or
subthread number to the subject which is stripped and replaced by proper