Re: non-member messages to lists (was Re: reply etiquette)

2004-10-01 07:21:38

On 2004-10-01 22:26, Laird Breyer wrote:
What is the culture clash?

Since we moved slightly (?) offtopic here:

yet a perfectly different question for cultural differences is the kind of
'salutation'. I suppose there are major differences here from country to
country, which may result in even more confusion as long as you don't know
about the cultural differences elsewhere.

Here in Germany it would be considered impolite NOT to start a letter with
a greeting and NOT to end it with some kind of complimentary close.

Formal letters most of the times start with
"Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren" (Dear ladies and sirs) and end with
"Mit freundlichen Grüßen" (With kind regards; Sincerely yours).

Private letters start e.g. with
"Lieber <name>" (Dear <name>) and end e.g. with
"Viele Grüße" (greetings).

Germans tend to use those, and comparable translations in English writing
as well - and maybe the receiver wonders about. I was told that any kind
of greeting in the states may be accepted as some kind of very formal
attitude. Thus the reader will feel more distracted/distanced here?

On the other hand someone in Germany may feel weird if any stranger would
send him an letter and sign this with 'Love, ..."

Behavior has changed significantly via email - where everyone uses the
direct 'you' ('du' instead of 'Sie', 'third' person 'thou'?). But I do
note those differences e.g.  on salutation or on perfectly different
quoting behavior, where fullquotes in German newsgroups / usenet are an
almost obvious sign of a newbie, while most of the people want short and
helpful quoting only.

Regards
Martin