Re: Angle brackets surrounding Content-ID

2004-10-12 04:12:32

In <416B2775(_dot_)1020507(_at_)erols(_dot_)com> Bruce Lilly
<blilly(_at_)erols(_dot_)com> writes:

Charles Lindsey wrote:
In <416709CF(_dot_)1080701(_at_)erols(_dot_)com> Bruce Lilly
<blilly(_at_)erols(_dot_)com> writes:

And yet again you repeat a whole string of possible scenarios, about
which there is no dispute, whilst steadfastly refusing to answer the
question that was asked, which specifically related to "actual" behaviour.

No Charles, this is not merely "possible scenarios". It is about
the very real situation of comparing identifiers.

If it never actually happens in the Real World (TM), then it is not a real
situation. It is merely an interesting quirk of the way RFC 2822 was
written.

Since I have repeatedly asked you for instances of where this has actually
happened in the Real World, or for examples of existing agents which
explicitly change the case of the id-right of a msg-id when copying it
(during transit or otherwise), and you have signally failed to provide
such examples, then I conclude that you are unaware of any such examples.
Moreover, nobody else on this list has produced such examples.

Therefore, I conclude that this minor change from RFC 822 to RFC 2822 has
no practical significance in the Real World and has not lead to any
problems of interoperability. In which case, since RFC 2822 supersedes RFC
822, writers of new software should simply follow RFC 2822, and that is
the end of the matter.

Email: chl(_at_)clerew(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave,
CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.